Les Ogres-Dieux t1: Petit by Hubert et Gatignol
This is a hefty tome that's been sitting on my shelf for over a year, and I cannot understand why I haven't read it earlier. Petit mixes folk tale elements (the giants, but also many of the motifs) with a very dark setting and wonderful world building. The race of giants originated from a "small" giant who mated with human women but now it's degenerating due to consanguinity. When Petit is born he is a small as a human baby, and his mother secrets him away in the hope that he will revive the failing blood of giants. This first volume is the story of his youth. Not only is the book graphically stunning, but the world building is fantastic (and nicely brought in through chapter plates focusing on historically meaningful giants.) I have ordered vol. 2 and can't wait for it to be delivered.

Comments
Post a Comment