Live in San Francisco by John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring
When I heard about the tour that McLaughlin and Herring undertook last year, I really hoped for a record (or even better DVD) release. Live in San Francisco is that, although only in part. The sets on that tour were organised in three parts : Herring's band, McLaughlin's band and both bands together. What we have here is the third set, mostly Mahavishnu Orchestra era pieces. The musicianship is (as you'd expect) astounding although for some reason Herring sounds more interesting than McLaughlin. I think it might be due in part to something as simple as Herring having a clearer and more direct guitar sound whereas McLaughlin's is muddier. Still, it's all good stuff, exhilarating, in your face music. I remember 'not getting it' the first time I listened to Birds of Fire and yet it sounds very accessible to me now (it's actually mostly modal and nowhere near as out as I remembered...) So, considering this is officially the last tour McLaughlin undertook, I'd argue it's as good a way to go as any.

Comments
Post a Comment