Les Mythes de Cthulhu by Alberto Breccia.


Les Mythes de Cthulhu by Alberto Breccia. 

I have a confession to make: while I devoured Lovecraft's short stories in my teens and loved them, I found them tedious as an adult and haven't been able to enjoy rereading them in decades. I purchased an earlier edition of this graphic novel adaptation when I was 15 and recovering from an eye injury. My wife got it for me a couple of birthdays ago when it was edited again in a more complete version under the title Les Mythes de Cthulhu (the Cthulhu Myths). This has in many ways reconciled me with the heart of Lovecraft's deranged creativity. Stripped of what is to me a very bland writing style, the core of the stories shine, and are in fact magnified by the equally deranged graphic style of Breccia, an Argentinian artist whose work was celebrated in the 70s. One thing that struck me as well - again due to the more concise expression of these adaptations - is how Borgesian many of the stories feel. Oh, and on a side note, I know many admire the Tanabe manga adaptations. If like me you find them too lengthy and too clean, give Breccia a chance.

Comments