Ann Droid

 

Ann Droid

I really like Diane Morgan, although that enjoyment is not shared evenly by the rest of the family. Her brand of awkward humour, especially as highlighted in the Cunk mockumentaries is an acquired taste. I hoped that Ann Droid would convince my wife and daughter that she has more range than that and I think overall if succeeded. Ann Droid isn't the most serious of premises, and while it may sound like a Black Mirror episode on paper, the vibe is altogether lighter. It's a sitcom centered on Sue, an old woman (played by Sie Johnston) who is gifted an assistant-care android by her son who is leaving home. She doesn't want that carer at first, but Linda (played by Diane Morgan) soon turns out to be indispensable to her daily life. The humour isn't exactly subtle, but I suppose that's a sitcom trope and with only six 30mn episodes, there's no time for it to grow old. A good entertainment, if not a deep delve into old age and artificial intelligence. 

Comments