Powers 25 by Bendis & Oeming

 

Powers 25 by Bendis & Oeming

Powers remains one my all time favourite comic series, especially in a mainstream superhero genre where I don't read or like much. The first 10 story arcs or so were simply mindblowing, and while I felt it petered out a bit towards the end, the final story of the main series was a really good and satisfying conclusion. I didn't expect any follow ups and yet Powers 25 comes out.  As often in these cases, I hesitate to read it at all in the fear that it'll be so bad it'll taint the whole series. I ended up reading it, obviously, and it's not that bad. It's also nowhere near as good as the best story arcs of the original series and while it tries to reinvent itself with new characters alongside older and more grizzly faces, it really seems to tread much of the same ground. There are only, I suspect, so many new angles with which to tackle "the superhumans living alongside humans" theme, and Powers 25 isn't anything new in this respect. It was still a pleasant enough read, but if Oeming & Bendis do continue, I hope they have something a bit more meaty in store. 

Comments