The Dungeon Book
A novel about a dungeon written by Gareth Hanrahan? You bet I'm going to order it so I can read it as soon as it's released. And I don't regret it one second. Naysayers may think the Dungeon Book is a bit too feelgood compared to Hanrahan's darker fantasy novels, but I think he manages to masterfully write a compelling story, maintain some levity and set it in an environment that, as much as we may love it from years of roleplaying, is a bit ridiculous when you try to take it seriously. I should know, I wrote a game about that. The Dungeon Book is a modern fairy tale, one that draws as much from folklore as it does from dungeonverse tropes. The first few chapters reminded me of the Graveyard Book a little, but as soon as our hero exits the dungeon, the book opens up and becomes about more than just that closed ecosystem. It's just such a delightful read, and worth ignoring the few inevitable grumpy readers in the corner who will find it too light-hearted.

Comments
Post a Comment