Dwellers of the Deep by Wobbler

 

 

Dwellers of the Deep by Wobbler


I heard about Wobbler in a rather interesting video by the channel Rhyme Signatures about ten modern prog rock bands worth listening to. I went and listened to Dwellers of the Deep and decided to get it. The 70s prog band I like and listen to the most is King Crimson (yeah, I know, the 69-74 band...) and Dwellers of the Deep are much more influenced by Yes and, to a lesser extent, Genesis, but the interesting thing is that while the sound and overall balance definitely screams 70s prog, Dwellers of the Deep is nonetheless original. It wears its influences on its sleeves, but within the confines of those influences actually sounds unique. There are only four tracks on the album, and unsurprisingly my favourite are the two longest ones, By the Banks (close to 14mn) which opens the album and Merry Macabre (19mn) which closes it. That said, the whole album works very well as a continual listen as well. A great pick if you like your 70s sound. 

Comments