Big Little Lies

  

Big Little Lies

I think I can say without hesitation that this is the best TV series I have seen this year. Big Little Lies starts with a classic hook: in a closed community (Monterey, CA moms) where a lot of resentment is hiding under the surface, the arrival of a new mom rocks the boat and these tensions surface in a dramatic way. The initial episode tells us that a murder has taken place, but the entire 7 episode run is then a flashback interspersed with police interviews of the protagonists. The construction is as effective as it is ambitious, way above most TV shows I have seen. The acting is superb throughout, not only from the big names (Kidman, Witherspoon) but from all the others as well including the child actors. A word of warning: this is not the kind of show that will make you at peace with human nature. There's very little except dysfunctional relationships on display, but it feels real despite this (or maybe because of this). Truly a great series that I heartily recommend.


Comments