Grimspound by Big Big Train
I never even knew there was a band called Big Big Train (pretty silly name if you ask me) let alone that it was a progressive rock band. But my friend Marcus and I have this music exchange thing going on and this is the last record he sent me, warning that it might be a bit too bucolic for my tastes. And that's what I felt at first. I've never been able to get into early Genesis because the folk-prog thing doesn't really work for me. After a few listens though, and despite the semi-acoustic instrumentation, I hear a lot more post-Fish Marillion and bits of early Pink Floyd in Grimspound that anything else. And it's realy good stuff, well built tunes with great singing and surprisingly in your face guitar for something I suspected might be folky. I don't know if I'd hunt down more of their stuff, but this record is sure nice and will enjoy repeated listening on my ipod. Now it's my move, Marcus...

Comments
Post a Comment