Vernon Subutex by Virginie Despentes
I had no idea what to expect from this book, just a couple of interviews of Despentes I read this summer that made me want to give it a shot. Superficially, Vernon Subutex is the story of a man down on his luck who faces the prospect of living in the street. His only ticket out is a series of video recordings of one of his old bandmates who made it big and just passed away. We follow Vernon's couch surfing as he tries desperately to avoid the inevitable downfall. Meanwhile, multiple "factions" struggle to get hold of him, or rather of his tapes. The "thriller" framing is really an excuse here, the core of the book is a clinical description of modern French society (or is it a take? I couldn't quiet make up my mind). It's a fascinating read. I don't think I've ever read something so stylistically cold and harsh, except perhaps some of Ellroy's work. Quite convincing, I will definitely read the rest of the trilogy.

Comments
Post a Comment