Kingfish by Christone Kingfish Ingram
After watching a few of his videos on Youtube (recommended by Adam Gussow, I think) I knew I needed this record and waited patiently for it to drop then bought it on the second day. Kingfish is a young blues guitar wizard, part Buddy Guy, part Albert King, part Popa Chubby and part Stevie Ray Vaughan. All of this blends into a style that may (so far) lack distinctive qualities but is dazzling and frankly amazing. More importantly (for me) Ingram is a very convincing singer, with a high-ish voice, very suave, and a mellow vibrato that just works well. The slightly more dissapointing side of the record to me is the writing, which is uninspired. That's sadly not unusual in modern blues, but this is the first album of a 20 year old artist, so he's got time to mature and write about more meaningful bits of life. The standout tracks are the slow blues, unsurprisingly considering Ingram's guitar stylings, but a couple of the acoustic tracks are susprisingly powerful as well. I'll keep an ear on this guy for sure.

Comments
Post a Comment