The Boys Season 1
I had quite enjoyed the raucous, very politically incorrect comic The Boys, Garth Ennis at his best (or worse depending on how you look at it). It's a testament to the TV series that I didn't immediately start rereading the book when I was watching the show. The pitch is simple : Hugh's girlfriend is accidentally killed by a superhero, one the Seven most famous. He is approached by Billy Butcher, a regular joe who wants revenge on "the supes". Mayhem ensues. Where the comic book went gonzo quite often, the TV show is a little more anchored in reality which actually makes it more potent in some ways. The end of S1 is quite stunning narratively speaking, and I'm really eager for S2. Very highly recommended if you're looking for a different angle to superhero stories and if you're not squeamish.

Comments
Post a Comment