Complete Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai


Complete Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai

I undertook a marathon reread of every Usagi Yojimbo TPB from #1 to #31 in the Saga omnibus collection. I love Usagi, and have a for a long time. Despite the furry nature of these Sengoku era Japan stories of a wandering Ronin, you soon forget about the cute, cartoony nature of it all because the stories are so engrossing and intricate. If you like those old Kurosawa movies with Toshiro Mifune, you'll love Usagi Yojimbo. Truth be told, I was expecting a lot of repetition from this long reread, and there is some, definitely (the rival town gang motif from Kurosawa's Yojimbo makes more than a few appearances) but it's actually not as bad as I feared. And the good is so good that I just barreled through it all with unmitigated joy. And for those looking for RPG inspiration (for UY RPG or the upcoming Empire des Cerisiers, maybe ?) Sakai's design notes at the end of each of the Saga collected editions are pure gold.

Comments