Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke
I love this book. I stumbled upon a second hand copy in Paris a few weeks back and decided it was time to read it (for the third time). Since my initial copy is not to be easily found (in a box in a house 10000km away from where I live) I purchased it and plunged in. It is still as delightful as the first time although I felt perhaps that the build up was a little slow in the first half. Still, it's all worth it and then some. What struck me for the first time (perhaps) is how much this is a uchronia that doesn't explicitly speak its name. Because it doesn't define a pivot moment it doesn't feel like one, but it really is : magic in Britain existed until the 16th century even though it didn't affect the course of history as we know it. And that's a brilliant approach, conveying both familiarity and exoticism. It seems that Susanna Clarke will soon publish a new novel, "Piranesi". I can't wait. Meanwhile, read this one.

Comments
Post a Comment