Aweto vol 1 by Nie Jun
I love Nie Jun's My Beijing (Contes de la Ruelle) which is simple, moving and poetic. I hoped for more of the same with Aweto, but without dismissing it outright, I'm less enthousiastic. Aweto is more of a fantasy story, focused on those who hunt Aweto, a rare plant (feels a bit like Mandragora in our Western myths). The problem is that Aweto also empowers communities, and without it they die. So while our hunters look like loveable rogues, there's a darker side to them whether they like to see it or not. The story doesn't really pick up until well into the book, and we're treated to a number of revelations as it ends, which is a little frustrating. Despite this pacing issue, I'll probably pick up the next one. It's not like Chinese fantasy is an everyday fare after all.

Comments
Post a Comment