Marriage Story
I guess the main reason I suggested we should watch this (besides having a Netflix account) was that I was curious as to the acting range of two of the leads in the biggest blockbuster franchises (Star Wars and Avengers). I also expected to be thoroughly depressed by the end. On the acting side, Adam Driver and Scarlet Johansson delivered, and then some. In fact, their acting is probably the only thing that holds the movie together, but I'll get back to that. There are a couple of scenes in there that are truly intense, and really hard to stay distanced from. If the movie was (for them) a way to demonstrate that they could do profound serious acting then the demonstration is made. Unfortunately, the movie's structure and scenario doesn't give them much to build on, which is why ultimately it's not a memorable movie. The plot is basically : they divorce, get lawyers and it gets ugly. In the end they've lost more or less everything they had, and they're miserable. Realistic, maybe. Engrossing, not so much. Give me Kramer vs Kramer any day.

Comments
Post a Comment