Josephine Baker by Catel & Bocquet
Although it's been a decade since I read Kiki de Montparnasse by the same authors, I have fond memories of this graphic novel. It had a breath of Paris in the 20s that really gave it depth. Josephine Baker is a similar formula and a similar era, although it reaches out to times a little closer to ours. There's no doubt Josephine Baker was an exceptional human being in more ways than one, and I learned a lot about her life reading the graphic novel, but still I don't think it's all that good. It feels like a factual biography, but it lacks a deeper meaning. I don't know if it's that Baker was so larger than life that the authors couldn't really grasp her or if it's the formula (they've done a number of these female hero biography books) but depite Muller's great round lines that fit Baker's feline nature so well, this one didn't do it for me.

Comments
Post a Comment