Poulets Grillés by Sophie Hénaff

 

 

Poulets Grillés by Sophie Hénaff 


I'd heard about this series of tongue in cheek French police procedural novels, but the descriptions sounded too wacky for my tastes. Then I stumbled upon the first book at a bookstore and the backcover blurb convinced me. And it's indeed both good and fun, if not a masterpiece. Poulets Grillés (a pun in French since Poulet (chicken) is slang for coppers) focuses on a unit created by the head of the Police Judiciaire in Paris with misfits and basketcases that can't be fired but that no one can work with. At the head of this unit is Anne Capestan, a brilliant young police chief with anger management issues. Despite being obviously sidelined, she decides to take her new mission seriously and investigate the cold cases her unit was handed. Looks pointless until they seem to spot a pattern... I really enjoyed the first book. It's an easy read, fun and not overly serious without being a full blown parody. I'll definitely check the next ones. 

Comments