The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie
Saying I had reservations towards Ann Leckie after having read her Ancillary trilogy would be accurate, and I was therefore unlikely to read another book of hers so soon after that relative disappointment. Someone on a French RPG forum recommended The Raven Tower after having shared similar reservations to mine towards Leckie's SciFi, so I decided to give it a go. And indeed, fantasy Leckie is much more convincing than SciFi Leckie. The Raven Tower is both a small scale story, centered on the city of Iraden that borders a strait where most of the commerce in this part of the world transits and a broad-scale story since the narrator is a deity in a world where small gods pervade the daily lives of humans. It's a story of belief, betrayal and not everything being what it seems, and it's really really engaging, starkly original and very cool.

Comments
Post a Comment