Way Up by the Wild Iris Brass Band


 

Way Up by the Wild Iris Brass Band


I'd gotten hold of this on the recommendations of a best albums list by a New Orleans radio station last year, but I'd only given it a couple of cursory listens. Last week as I was listening to it again I noticed a banjo players on one of the tracks and thought "that sounds so much like Bela Fleck!" I checked, and it was, which led me to read the sleeve notes in more depth and realise that this brass band is none other than Jeff Coffin's current project! I then listened to it again with more active intent, and it's really gorgeous brass music. I love bands that managed to honor the tradition while carving their own path, and Wild Iris certainly does that. It's quiet bass heavy, which I love, the rhythm section kicks ass, and the compositions are very cool. Highly recommended. 

Comments