Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise by the Dear Hunter


 

Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise by the Dear Hunter


This is another of those records I decided to check out after seeing the video on contemporary prog that made me discover Wobbler and Thank You Scientist. Although The Dear Hunter are clearly fantastic musicians and great composers, I find that I'm not really moved by their music. It relies a lot on vocal and instrumental harmonies, most of them major, and that really doesn't sit well with me. As comedian Bill Bailey says, the major scale is too eager to please. So, while I absolutely see why this is a good band and a good album, it lacks friction to be to my taste (incidentally, this is the same reason that bands like Iron Maiden and Hellywood never did it for me. I really don't like these uplifting harmonies in a rock context...)

Comments